27 November 2015

giving thanks

I took a little stroll around my neighborhood today, and smelled everyone's delicious dinners, and smiled at the houses that were clearly hosting dinner--driveways packed, windows cracked to relieve the heat of so much cooking and so many people. And the houses that have seen better days, and possibly shelter families who have seen better days, I prayed for joy, for gratitude. And over all of them I prayed blessings. And then I thought of all of Los Angeles...gathering together, giving thanks.

I was struck by how incredible it is that for this one holy day, Americans everywhere--even overseas--are setting aside a moment to give thanks. In a country founded in capitalism, largely fuelled by discontent and covetousness, for one moment across the nation nearly all hearts are set in gratitude. Regardless of religion or creed, political stance or social status...there is one moment, a solitary second in time, when every heart is confronted with gratitude. Many may choose to go no further than the question, "What am I grateful for?" But even still there is, I think, something holy in the asking. A turning of one's heart upward, outward.

Even if the day is hectic, stressful, and full of awkward moments with family members you rarely see, even if you burnt your casserole, there you are. Breaking bread together and giving thanks.
Even if the day is entirely uneventful, spent mostly alone, and you eat the same thing you always eat, there you are. Breaking bread and giving thanks.

I just think it's magical. And I think it blesses the heart of God--maybe even more than egg hunts and gift giving.

Yes we momentarily ignore the atrocities of white men against native Americans, and true the ugliness of Black Friday is looming over us ready to pounce, and no we aren't solving world hunger or becoming a more "godly nation"...but we're gathering together, and we're collectively giving thanks.
And I'm convinced there's immense power in that.

I am thankful for...
...scarf and cardigan weather, after so many months of crazy heat
...cups of coffee in favorite mugs
...crunching leaves underfoot while holding coffee and wearing a scarf and sweater--a nearly Oregon experience
...my delightful friends, in a hundred places around the world
...my beautiful family, a little scattered along the west coast, but always my heart's home
...extraordinary grace
...sweet potatoes

May gratitude be the fodder and fruit of my life.

Amen.



thanksgiving sunset on Woodley Ave.

2 comments:

  1. I love you so very much, heart of my heart, my very sweet daughter. You bring life and love to all with your words and warmth. I am incredibly grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for four women in my life: my mom for giving me life, my sister for showing me life is about learning, my wife for loving me always and forever, and my daughter who always reminds me to reflect God's light outwardly.

    ReplyDelete